On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 3:42 PM, trans<transfire / gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 24, 5:15
>> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Trans<transf... / gmail.com> wrote:
>> > We are seeing a lot or release announcements among the regular posts
>> > these days, taking up a larger and larger percentage of total posts.
>> > Perhaps if we have a separate list for them then:
>>
>> > 1) ruby-talk itself would improve
>>
>> How?
>
> Increasing the concentration/orientation of list toward Ruby issues,
> problem solving, etc. rather then yet another 0.0.1 bump release.

That concentration/orientation thing is just overrated. That utopia of
a mailing list where only insightful and interesting things will be
discussed is just not going to work (case in point "thoughful-ruby"
mailing list).

>> > 2) we'd all know were to look to see what's new without having to
>> > sift
>>
>> Again How? Many folks use filtered feed of ruby-talk that just caters
>> to announcements (rather than subscribing to mailing list).
>> Announcements are very important part of ruby-talk, moving
>> announcements to a different list serves little purpose.
>
> At the very least it means you wouldn't need a filtered feed ;)
> Personally I am interested in both announcements and the rest of ruby-
> talk. I would prefer to view the two separately. I am not going to go
> out of my way to setup filters that will have only a limited level of
> success.

It also means, you need a separate list to begin with and as Mohit
pointed out sometimes its interesting to have a discussion about
package being announced right here on ruby-talk, which is the right
channel for such things. A separate list for announcements will be too
limited in scope.

own coals.

http://gnufied.org