> Where I was expecting to see test = True.  The return value of the
> system call is not being capture when I call a python script, yet IS
> when a 'system call' is made.

I think the confusion comes from this:

>> system("python test.py")
Testing! my script
2nd line
=> true

that last true means "the command returned a value of 0" and is a ruby
true

if you want the output *and* its success value then you'll need to use

>> %x[python test.py]
=> "Testing! my script \n2nd line\nTrue\n"
>> $?.exitstatus == 0
=> true

There's your true.

If you want to get the last thing the python script outputs then
[pretend last line is "print returnValue()"]

it'll be something like %x[python test.py].split("\n")[-1]

Maybe one of those will help you.  Or use Rye which appears to do that
in a class oriented way.
-=r