On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Lloyd Linklater<lloyd / 2live4.com> wrote:
> Hooopo wrote:
>
>> require'enumerator'
>> qwertyuiopasdfgd".scan(/./).each_cons(3){|x,y,z| p [x,y,z].join}
>
> I see that it will not output anything if the scan is omitted but why is
> that so?
Because String has a somehow strange way to implement Enumerables in
1.8 and in 1.9 there is simply no String#each_cons (because String is
not an enumerable anymore)
Personally I think it was a good decision, forcing people to be clear
how they want the String to be "iterated"
as there are some possibilities
"".enum_for( x )
x in each_byte, each_char and ???
as a short for that you have
x.bytes --> Enumerator
x.chars --> Enumerator
But David has already applied this technique in one of the replies, so
I might not be DRY ;)
HTH
Robert

Cheers