On Jun 17, 2009, at 10:31 AM, Paul Shapiro wrote:

> My script currently is processing various csv files.

I recommend using a CSV parser so it can worry about all of those
little details for you.  Here's an example script to give you ideas:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby -wKU

require "rubygems"
require "faster_csv"

# read a line of CSV
fields = FCSV.parse_line(DATA.read)

# edit the fields
fields.each do |f|
  f.sub!(/\A\d+\)\s*/, "")
end
# show fields
puts fields

# write back out as CSV
puts FCSV.generate_line(fields)

__END__
Device ID,1) S31 Which best describes how you answered the online
reading comprehension quiz?,2) S32 Which best describes how you
answered the online timed retrieval quiz?,3) B19. If you want your
product to be easy to find in the supermarket then you should make its
container,"4) C19.  So that he can shift attention between the radio
and his incessantly talking girl friend when she is in the car, Joe
adjusts his radio",5) B20.  Early selection is most likely to occur
for,6) C20. Early selection for a red target is most likely to occur
when there is,"7) B21. In a lexical decision task, when the target is
a bird name, e.g. robin, it is usually preceded by the prime BODY but
is sometimes preceded by the prime BIRD."

Hope that helps.

James Edward Gray II