On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 08:35:53 -0500, Roger Pack
<rogerpack2005 / gmail.com> wrote:

>> Are there any plans for a Ruby 1.9.1 One-Click Installer for Windows?
>> The current Ruby 1.8.6 One-Click Installer (see
>> http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/47082/ruby186-27_rc2.exe) seems
>> rather outdated.
>
>There's plans for it...currently all there are are zip files
>
>Here's a blog on it:
>

>and a few instructions on unzipping them
>
>http://programming-gone-awry.blogspot.com/2009/05/ruby-19-one-click-installer.html

I just read the sites referenced by both links, but although the site
referenced by the second one was entitled "ruby 1.9 one click
installer," it actually seemed to be nothing more than instructions
for manually unzipping the {1.8.6,1.9}.7z file and the devkit.
Therefore, if I follow those instructions, I am likely still to be
missing the following components (all found in the 1.8.6 One-Click
Installer):

1) An uninstaller

2) Start Menu/Desktop logos/icons

3) Bundled Ruby documentation

4) Bundled Ruby Gems

5) Bundled fxri - Interactive Ruby Help & Console

6) Bundled SciTE

I already unzipped ruby-1.9.1-p0-i386-mswin32.zip several months ago,
but was disappointed by the lack of the above.  The only component
that the instructions add to what I already have is the devkit.

Does this mean that the only way to have a 1.9.1 version equivalent to
the Ruby 1.8.6 One-Click Installer for Windows is to follow the
instructions at the site referenced by first link (entitled
"RubyInstaller - State of One-Click") and perform the following steps
(essentially building and debugging one mostly from scratch)?

>Download those versions (including the fake DevKit), put your helmet,
>gloves and start using it like I do. Some tips:
>
>    * Add the compiler to the PATH when installing gems that contains
>extensions.
>
>      If you gem fails during installation and shows the Building native
>extensions legend that means you need the compiler around
>
>    * Check for RUBY_PLATFORM in the gems
>
>      If the gem doesn¡Çt work after that, peek into the gem code for
>RUBY_PLATFORM conditions and see if mingw is being considered
>
>    * Ask the developer to provide native versions of the gem
>
>      If the gem requires several libraries and other stuff. Politely request
>the gem author to create a native binary of that gem for Windows.
>
>      Point him to rake-compiler project, and some projects that includes
>tasks for building cross platform packages.
>
>As a last resource, ask them join rubyinstaller-users list and ask questions
>about to improve the cross-platform compatibility of their projects.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^