James Britt wrote:
> ?lph? Bl�� wrote:
>> I hate even typing the question but my vps template has centos
>> unfortunately.  So, I'm looking for instructions on how to install ruby
>> with centos and yum...
>>
>> Anyone have some solutions for me - advice?
>

> Build from source?

Again, my problem is there's very little documentation out there for
centos and how to accomplish this.

For instance, on Ubuntu if I need to do this I know which apts I'll need
to get before compiling from source.  On Centos, those same apts don't
appear to apply.

Unless someone can provide me a link to a detailed step-by-step that
shows me how to accomplish a build from source, then I can't use centos.
It really comes down to familiarity and I spent 12 hours scouring and
searching the web yesterday for anything centos related.

My VPS template uses Centos 4.5 (final), most other people are using
Centos 5.x.  That's problem number 1.

My VPS uses yum and I'm not all that familiar with yum.  I installed apt
and couldn't get going with that on centos either.  That's problem
number 2.

When I attempted a compile it failed because much of the dependencies
were not already built on the distro.  I compiled from 1.9.1 source but
zlib, openssl, etc. - all of those failed.  When I tried to update zlib
it said I had the latest available already but I noticed that the
version was "old".  So, where do I get the latest zlib?

Again, the issues kept coming over and over.  I went on IRC to try to
see if someone would help in ruby and rubyrails channels and everyone
that spoke to me laughed at me when I mentioned centos and ruby... No
one was helpful or understanding given my situation.

Yes, I'm a newbie when it comes to linux but I help others.  I don't
like to reach out for help on certain subjects but sometimes you just
have to do it in order to learn.  My list of resources for centos and my
familiarity with centos can be accumulated in these paragraphs,
unfortunately...

If someone wants to open my eyes to something I haven't yet discovered
and help me out - great!  But, saying it's a great distro is just an
opinion that doesn't help me out with the issues I'm facing.  I'd love
to keep what I have if I could accomplish what it is I need to do.

But, that doesn't appear to be the case here.