On Thu, 2002-02-14 at 09:22, Stephan J. Schmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-02-14 at 14:27, Patrik Sundberg wrote:
> >
> > what would need to be cut?
>
> Perhaps the people from the jRuby project could elaborate this. But
> a.) CLR seems to be static type specific and does not work very good
> with typeless languages

Ya, that's why a Ruby interpreter could never be developed in a language
like C, right?  ^,^

A types value in the .NET interpreter could be an object that holds a
Ruby type-less value.  In fact, the types values in .NET would be
nothing but object references (like VALUE in the C code for Ruby).

> b.) .NET depends on things like attributes. Those would have to be added
> to Ruby and things have to be done .NET style

Not necessarily.  So long as Ruby compiles and runs in .NET, it serves
the major purpose.  Attributes would only be needed to deal with .NET
extension libraries.

> c.) Prototyping (Cloning objects and adding methods etc.) would be hard
> to do (Code blocks also).

Hmm, how is that?  If C can do it, so can the CLR.  That is one of the
biggest points of the CLR.

> d.) Most of the Ruby specific stuff that can be done (1-3) would be much
> slower than C# because it has to be wrapped (iterators, code
> blocks,...), so it boils down to use "def end" instead of "public method
> { }", so why not use C# in the first place.

Well, Ruby in .NET Framework would still be faster than normal Ruby,
because it will be run thru a JIT... granted, the methods necessary to
make Ruby work with .NET would make it still slower than straight C, I'd
imagine it'd be a lot faster than just the Ruby interpreter as it stands
now.

> I think integrating Ruby into Parrot might be a much better idea, or at
> least jRuby and jPython should throw some resources together and make it
> easier for other languages to compile to java bytecode. At least Java is
> more open then .NET.

Ya, a Parrot backend would be great for Ruby.  But that's no reason to
not even bother with .NET.