On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 12:40 AM, F. Senault<fred / lacave.net> wrote:
> Le 7 juin 2009 03:36, Charles Calvert a ˝─rit :
>
>> One downside to your suggestion is that folks who find the newsgroup
>> and start posting would be seen only by those reading the newsfeed
>> until and unless they subscribed. t's a small barrier, but a barrier
>> nonetheless.
>
> It's far from a small barrier. f the poster uses an invalid address,
> he will never know he's supposed to subscribe. itto if his email
> server or spam filter eats the mailing-list warning message, of if he
> doesn't understand it.
>
> Not to forget that, even if he receives the warning, he'll have to
> repost his message a second time, while some people on Usenet could
> already respond to the first, adding to the confusion...

Frank,

First, let me say I appreciate the contributions that people who post
via NNTP.  I honestly don't want this to become an "us vs them"
situation where mailing list users like myself call for tearing down
the gateway.  At the same time, it's clear that the spam to the list
is coming via NNTP.   Perhaps people who are used to reading many
newsgroups have just become accustomed to the spam and/or have great
anti-spam tools, but many email users have found well run mailing
lists to be one of the few spam-free havens on the internet.
Honestly, if it wasn't for ruby's rapid development which makes lists
like this necessary for staying on top of what's new I probably would
of unsubscribed long ago in disgust.

Simply put, if you don't find my proposed solution workable, then
please provide a better one which has the impact of stopping the spam
(keeping the headers while nice, won't accomplish that).

Another option, is do what the svn-users list does- have moderators
approve messages from email addresses which are not subscribed.  Yes,
this means if you're not subscribed, then your post gets delayed.
However, if you have enough mods across different timezones then it's
usually an acceptable delay.  If not, you can always subscribe as I
mentioned above.  I'll take it one step further and offer up to be a
moderator for a minimum of 1 year.

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/