Bill,

The personality component can see other messages as input and use
those to determine the next message to provide. Of course, in order
for the component to see the replies and other messages they would
need to be gathered and passed in as arguments in some form.

If you like you can share the techniques for gathering these messages
with the mailing list. The goal is to make it as easy as possible to
focus on the "personality" part without worrying about the
nitty-gritty of interfacing with Twitter. Additionally sharing
information on available libraries or general techniques will help all
the solutions to be better.

--
-Daniel
http://strd6.com