On Jun 5, 2009, at 5:17 PM, John W Higgins wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Eric Hodel <drbrain / segment7.net>
> wrote:

>>> Yeah, I'm leery to do any detection because I suspect it would
>>> become a
>>> maintenance nightmare as posters ask, why was my message blocked?
>>> So, if we
>>> want to go that route, we probably need to pass it to a maintainer
>>> with more
>>> time to watch over it first.
>>>
>>> If we all agree it's become more of a hinderance than it's worth,
>>> I can
>>> certainly shut it down.
>>>

>> For the record, I wasn't even considering suggesting this.
>>
>> I'm also open to other options.
>>>
>>> Looking at my mail headers I see:

>>> Yeah, that notice has been there since the dawn of time.  The link
>>> has
>>> never worked on my watch.  I've just never touched it due to not
>>> knowing the
>>> history of it or what is suppose to be there.
>>>

>> Could you replace the URL with a contact address, even if it's just
>> "Please
>> email ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org for gateway support"?
>>

> I have to ask why would we want people sending more spam to the list
> complain about the spam we all just received? (This email being
> Exhibit
> A.....)

The gateway is a community resource.  If they can't come to us, the
community, for help, where should they go?

I think Eric's request seems totally reasonable.

If the spam we are getting here increases because users and emailing
us about problems, well that tells us something:  the gateway is
annoying people.  When that happens, we will need to agree on a
solution to that problem.  Right?

James Edward Gray II