On 4 Jun 2009, at 02:10, Caleb Clausen wrote:
> On 6/3/09, Eleanor McHugh <eleanor / games-with-brains.com> wrote:
>> On 3 Jun 2009, at 17:30, Marc Heiler wrote:
>>> What does "meta-programming" NEED to have to do anything
>>> with indent at all?
>>
>> Because if indentation becomes significant it's important that it
>> doesn't break any central feature of Ruby, and my gut feeling
>> (which I
>> concede may be totally misguided) is that the area where such
>> breakage
>> is most likely to occur will be meta-programming. So whilst it may
>> not
>> have anything to do with the matter at all, determining whether or
>> not
>> that is the case is still an important consideration. At least for
>> me.
>
> So why metaprogramming, particularly? Ahhh, is it because code
> generators may not take care to indent their generated code properly?
> I know I've written code generators that do that...

Precisely.

We use code generation so often in mainstream Ruby code - and
sometimes in some pretty arcane ways - that the possibility of
introducing a whole new category of defect into the process concerns
me much more than typing 'end' ever could.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net