I'm running a server on Mac OS 10.5.7, Ruby 1.8.6, that's almost exactly
the same as the one in Peter Cooper's Beginning Ruby book. When I run
the Activity Monitor it shows Ruby is consuming about 98% of one of my
CPUs when there's no client activity (I have only 3 clients, 2 in the
same computer). I need the computer for other important things, so this
concerns me.

What can I do to free up the CPU? I've tried adding a few sleeps, to not
avail. Here's the code:
-------------------------------
#!/usr/bin/env ruby

# Start this server with
# ruby -w GServerchat.rb <port#>
# or just
# GServerchat.rb <port#>    if file is executable
#

require 'gserver'

class ChatServer < GServer  # Server class derived from GServer super
class
  def initialize(*args)
    super(*args)

    # Keep a record of the client IDs allocated
    # and the lines of chat
    @@client_id = 0
    @@chat = []
  end

  def serve(io)             # Serve method handles connections
  # Increment the client ID so each client gets a unigue ID
      @@client_id += 1
      my_client_id = @@client_id
      my_position = @@chat.size

      io.puts("welcome, client #{@@client_id}!")

      #leave a 'joined' message on the chat queue
      @@chat << [my_client_id, "<joins the chat>"]

      loop do
      #Every 2 seconds check for data
      if IO.select([io], nil, nil, 2)
      # If so, retrieve the data and process it...
      line = io.gets

      # Write the new line to the log file
    logfile = File.open('/tmp/chatlog', 'a')
    logfile.puts line
    logfile.close

      # If user says quit, disconnect them
      if line =~ /quit/
        @@chat << [my_client_id, "< leaves the chat>"]
        break
      end

      # Shut down the server if we hear 'shutdown'
      self.stop if line =~ /shutdown/

      # Add the client's text to the chat array along with client's ID

      @@chat << [my_client_id, line]
    else
      # No data, so print any newlines from the chat stream
      @@chat[my_position..(@@chat.size - 1)].each_with_index do |line,
        io.puts("#{line[0]} says: #{line[1]}")
       end

       #Move the position to one past array end
      my_position = @@chat.size

##server = ChatServer.new(ARGV[0])

portnum = ARGV[0] || 50000
my_ip =
Socket::getaddrinfo(Socket.gethostname,"echo",Socket::AF_INET)[0][3]
server = ChatServer.new(portnum, my_ip, 5, $stdout, true)

server.start              # Start the server

loop do
  break if server.stopped?