--0016e642d334f1270e046b1c3bee

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 10:47 PM, Eleanor McHugh <
eleanor / games-with-brains.com> wrote:

> I felt that way when Tony had his outburst. I can't recall ever seeing this
> extremity of reaction in a thread on ruby-talk in the years I've been
> subscribed, and it either means that there's something fundamental about
> this topic that pushes our buttons or that there was something about the way
> it was presented that did likewise. Clearly a raw nerve has been touched
> either way.

There's nothing about the topic that pushes buttons for me.  I tried to make
a Ruby-like language with a Pythonic lexer handling indentation
sensitivity.  I gave up, and in the end I think keeping the "end" token was
the right decision.

But after painstakingly detailing the problems of doing this with a Pythonic
lexer/grammar, and suggesting a Haskell-style lexer/grammar, I was instead
strawmanned with claims that it's "impossible" and a bunch of personal
attacks from J Haas.  The guy was basically being a little twat, and all he
had to offer was some script he didn't write that did some very much
informal and complicated regex munging to back up his claims.

It has been interesting to see the alternantive formally decidable solutions
proposed here for the lexer, and I'm interested in possibly incorporating
them into Reia.  In fact I'd be interested in a better description of the
lexer behavior, although I see it's been released so I suppose I could
always check out the source myself.

That said restoring indentation sensitivity is rather low on my list of
priorities.

--
Tony Arcieri
medioh.com