I ended up installing VirtualBox and added ubuntu linux to a virtual
drive.  I took my time and researched and managed to compile 1.9.1 from
source on ubuntu with rails and everything is working 100% now.

I'll program with ruby (winapi) on windows and I'll program with Ruby on
Rails on linux.  As I can use both versions now simultaneously due to
virtual box, this solves all of my programming issues.

Thanks folks.

P.S.  I also created a very large topic in the Ruby on Rails forum for
my troubles http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/188125#new

In this thread towards the bottom, I posted my entire installation
routine for linux in case someone is having similar troubles and happens
to read this thread.

Take care.