On 28 May 2009, at 19:31, Juan Zanos wrote:
> On May 28, 2009, at 2:15 PM, Eleanor McHugh wrote:
>
>> On 28 May 2009, at 17:30, J Haas wrote:
>>> I know it looks funny to a lot of people. It looked funny to me the
>>> first time, too. As I said, my reaction when I first learned of
>>> significant indentation was the same reaction I've seen from lots of
>>> developers I've told about it: "what, are you kidding?" But it makes
>>> sense. After a day or two of playing around with it, you'll find
>>> that
>>> it becomes second nature.
>>
>> You might just as well tell the Lisp community that all those
>> brackets they use are redundant. You might well find some converts,
>> but I suspect most people would look at you with a mix of
>> incomprehension and revulsion. In a certain sense Lisp *is* the
>> brackets.
>>
>> So contrary to how you feel about this, one size doesn't fit all -
>> especially not in matters of aesthetics. Indeed I suspect that much
>> of the resistance that you've experienced in this thread is a
>> reflection of the fact that your original post and this one both
>> show an equal lack of awareness of that fact.
>
> When was there ever great innovation in art that didn't cause anger
> and revulsion?

Anger and revulsion alone are not the proof of great innovation. Nor
for that matter does aesthetic innovation invalidate the tastes of
those who choose not to follow it.

>   Currently the one size fits all is that you must use end.  It
> isn't a choice.   Yes, you can be a second class citizen and use a
> preprocessor.  But how would you feel if the tables were switched
> and new ruby forced you to not use end and your only alternative was
> to use a preprocessor?

I probably wouldn't have taken to the language, just as I didn't take
to Python.

And would the fact that Python works the way it does justify my
arguing for inclusion of 'end'? It's hard to see how the language
could retain its character that way and it would be rather rude of me
to push the point with people who are clearly comfortable with its
current form. The same applies with Lisp, a beautiful language which I
choose not to use because I dislike the extensive use of parentheses.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net