Hello,

msergeant / star.net.uk (Matt Sergeant) wrote:
> > In addition, creating objects need cost. Yes, this cost is
> > not so expensive, and Ruby usually pays many many cost :-)
>
> Well I guess I'd like to see this benchmarked.

I made rough test XML::SAX2 with REXML and XMLParser.
Creating object API version seems to be about 10% slower than
not-creating object (java-like) API version.

It's too slow? or it's reasonable cost to make API simple and clean?

> > Could you tell me how to use (or not use) ParserDetails.ini
> > in Perl?  Is there a document about it?
>
> The whole thing is still in a little bit of flux. Basically
> ParserDetails.ini resides in the same directory as XML/SAX.pm, and
> contains information about all installed parsers, such as whether they
> support Namespaces and other features. When you use the factory method
> to create a parser, it consults this file to see which parser to
> return to the user depending on what features they asked for. It
> basically works the same as the Java SAX factory stuff.
>
> The problem is it doesn't work too well for local module installations
> - i.e. I'm a user and I don't have root on a box, and want to install
> XML::SAX::FooParser, but I can't write to ParserDetails.ini. We need
> to work on that still.

Thanks for your information.

> The docs are all in the XML::SAX distribution, which you can read
> online at http://search.cpan.org/ (use the search box)

Hmm, it seems that I also should learn Perl more... :-)

Thanks,

TAKAHASHI 'Maki' Masayoshi     E-mail: maki / rubycolor.org