On May 28, 2009, at 2:15 PM, Eleanor McHugh wrote:

> On 28 May 2009, at 17:30, J Haas wrote:
>> I know it looks funny to a lot of people. It looked funny to me the
>> first time, too. As I said, my reaction when I first learned of
>> significant indentation was the same reaction I've seen from lots of
>> developers I've told about it: "what, are you kidding?" But it makes
>> sense. After a day or two of playing around with it, you'll find that
>> it becomes second nature.
>
> You might just as well tell the Lisp community that all those
> brackets they use are redundant. You might well find some converts,
> but I suspect most people would look at you with a mix of
> incomprehension and revulsion. In a certain sense Lisp *is* the
> brackets.
>
> So contrary to how you feel about this, one size doesn't fit all -
> especially not in matters of aesthetics. Indeed I suspect that much
> of the resistance that you've experienced in this thread is a
> reflection of the fact that your original post and this one both
> show an equal lack of awareness of that fact.

When was there ever great innovation in art that didn't cause anger
and revulsion?   Currently the one size fits all is that you must use
end.  It isn't a choice.   Yes, you can be a second class citizen and
use a preprocessor.  But how would you feel if the tables were
switched and new ruby forced you to not use end and your only
alternative was to use a preprocessor?