David Masover wrote:
> On Sunday 24 May 2009 03:42:19 pm James Britt wrote:
>> My concern is that you can mistakenly add 4 spaces instead of two, or
>> vice versa, and get valid code (i.e. the parser does not see anything
>> technically wrong) yet not have the code you really wanted.
>
> You can get the same problem by misplacing a bracket or a paren. The only
> difference I see is that the indentation is a lot more visibly obvious.

Interesting.  I've had an incorrect number of braces and parens in the
past, and don't think it ever made for well-formed executable ruby.  I
always got a parsing error.

It seems like a much harder mistake to make then taping the space key or
back space key a few too more or less times. (That is, a mistake that
still leaves the code perfectly runnable by the interpreter, but with
different semantics than intended.)

Also, mismatched brackets or do/ends are very easy to spot; I tell vim
to auto-format, and the borked code alignment and incorrect syntax
coloring shows me right away where the error is.

I'm unclear as to whether you can have accurate auto-formatting with
significant indentation (e.g., ggVG=).

--
James Britt

www.neurogami.com            - Smart application development