"J Haas" <Myrdred / gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3dd501b0-84bc-4781-af21-f09714148e6b / y6g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
>> This sort of structuring pieces of code stopped me from trying Python
>> seriously.
>And I specifically addressed this in my OP. A lot of engineers who
>haven't done work in Python think that the idea of giving syntactical
>significance to whitespace is a ridiculous idea. I used to be one of
>them. Now I know better. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

I've used many languages in team projects, for example Assembler, Fortran,
Modula, C, C++, Pascal, Ruby, Batch, bash, TCL.
The only thing common to these projects: Nobody seems to be able to use
formatting consistently on different platforms.

>> Isn't there an Syntax-Highlighting Editor out there which allows
>> assigning
>> 1-Point size to End-Only-Lines?
>Aside from the fact that this wouldn't solve the problem that I'd
>still have to _write_ the damned things, this is possibly the
>kludgiest solution imaginable.
So just use a macro which replaces CTRL-BS by end.

>> Wouldnt this be the easiest way to solve your problem?
>The easiest way to solve _my_ problem would be for me to use one of
>the preprocessing scripts that impose Python-like indentation syntax
>on Ruby.
You will additionally need preprocessing for importing code.

>But that wouldn't solve the larger problem, which is that
>Ruby could be better than it is.
Then it would not be your problem anymore, but the problems of tons of other
Rubyists. Which, at current time, probably have absolutely no problem using
end or "}".
(BTW: For at least 10 years, I've never read or heard about this suggestion
for Ruby.)

Are you really sure you are no FUD-guy paid by MS which tries to
spoil other scripting languages in favor of F#?