2009/5/20 Luis Lavena <luislavena / gmail.com>:

> So, in better words I think I going to run this as a Bounty/Contest/Challenge:
>
> I'm going to open a Pledgie, and put some money there. This means the
> designers that want to participate will need to be able to collect
> money using Paypal.
>
> Next, Designers can create mockups of the homepage, and use "as
> inspiration" the logo/branding for the installer that already exist:
>
> http://blog.mmediasys.com/2008/03/29/progress-of-one-click-installer-rubyinstaller/

I think asking for mockups is the wrong thing to do. I am not sure a
good tool for eveluating future web design exists but to me it looks
like mockups are not the tool.

There is a disturbing tendency to design web pages as flyers and then
forcing the flyer into HTML without regard to web functionality.

Don't get me wrong. I know that good colour balance is also part of
functionality. However, adding right style to a working web is
relatively easy due to CSS but making a good looking web usable tends
to be very challenging. Often the desire to make the page look like
the flyer on which it is based sacrifices much in the functionality,
ease of use and compatibility departments.

There are probably some designers that are somewhat aware that the web
has its specifics but judging from the state of  pages I visit there
are very few who actually understand the web.

Thanks

Michal