--001e680f0dcc36cb5a046a5a0028

I was wondering the exact same thing!

Before I knew 1.9 was coming out I got a 1.8 book, and I have gone through
it. However, I am wondering if I should get a 1.9 book now and learn it.

I have not started any major projects using Ruby just yet, and am curious if
I should practice with 1.8 some before I learn 1.9 or just jump into 1.9 and
start using it for projects?

My only concern is the lack of Gem support 1.9 might have right now. Is it
something a new comer should worry with? Or, should I just forget the lack
of Gem support and know that Gem's will eventually update to 1.9 and new
Gems will be made for 1.9.

Anyhow, I know that I will want to learn 1.9 at some point. I just do not
want to jump in and be a bad position to progress in my learning because of
1.9 set backs because it is so new.