On May 19, 2009, at 15:25, J Haas wrote:
>>> This is *not* DRY. Or anything remotely resembling it. This is an
>>> ugly blemidh on a language that otherwise is very beautiful.
>>
>> It's a blemish all right, but not on the language.
>
> If not the language, then where? In the library code? Maybe those four
> places where "end" is repeated seven consecutive times are poorly
> engineered and could be refactored,

They almost certainly could be, this is a sign of strong code-smel

> but how about the nearly thousand
> times "end" is repeated three or more times? Is every one of those the
> result of poor engineering on the part of the library programmers, or
> were at least some of them forced on the programmers by the language?
>
> One statistic that I didn't print out from my script was that there
> are an average of 135 lines of "end" per file. For a language that
> prides itself on expressiveness and brevity, this is just plain silly.

Does anybody complain about terminating '}' in C, C++ or Java?  Does
anybody complain about terminating '.' on sentences?  (There's a
folowing capital letter for disambiguation!)  I think we need to
remove all useles constructs from all languages