On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 14:27, Joshua Ballanco <jballanc / gmail.com> wrote:
> In the tradition of actions vs. words, I present to you:
>
> RubyScience - A Collection of Ruby Science Libraries and Projects
> http://github.com/jballanc/RubyScience
>
> To get started:
>> git clone git://github.com/jballanc/RubyScience.git
>> git submodule update --init
>
> So, initially I thought, "Wouldn't it be nice if GitHub had a way of
> creating groups to collect related projects?" Which is, of course, when I
> realized that GitHub already does... It's called Git! (specifically git
> submodules). So, this project isn't much, really, on its own. Eventually I'd
> like to automate some of the pulling/updating/indexing/documenting/etc.
> tasks. I'd also like to have an umbrella gem (or perhaps many umbrella gems,
> i.e. rubyscience-physics, rubyscience-math, etc.) that would make it easier
> to start from scratch to do science with Ruby.

cute idea.  I'm not sure how well the many libraries play together -
but we can find this out along the way...

btw, there is already a rubyforge project (sciruby) that I started
with similar ambitions.  Initially, it's intention was just to provide
a separate "science centric" list for ruby discussions to augment Ara
Howard's sciruby wiki (which seem to have evaporated).   The list
still exists, albeit the traffic is *very* light.   I encourage any
interested party to sign up!

In any case, it could easily be the connective bit to provide the
"distribution" gems.  Or to officially house anyone's original code
they don't want to publish separately.    Other suggestions are quite
welcome.

Cameron