> I have asked several people and I got the answer about using
> ncurses/curses, however I haven't found any that works both on win32 and
> linux, which I need.

Totally new to ruby but from experience with C and perl I would say the
answer to this question is tough luck.  You have to use an API (such as
ncurses); if you cannot get that to work satisfactorily you will have to
write seperate front-ends for each OS.

If ruby/Tk is cross platform enough and it's possible you might as well
go the GUI route; dealing with Tk is not much more complex than curses.
A simple task like this one will be -- simple.