--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

Joshua Ballanco:

> I have a sneaky suspicion that Ruby is being much more widely used
> in Science than you might guess based just on forum posts and Google
> searches. I think the biggest difference between science in Python
> and science in Ruby is the sharing. For example, I'm using Ruby for
> some evolutionary modeling for my Ph.D. thesis. I've thought about
> library-izing some of the code, but that's extra effort. In other
> words, it seems like Ruby is almost "too good" in that it lets you
> do really rapid development of experimental code without the need
> to first write entire libraries. The first step in building a better
> science-ruby community is remembering to share.

Hear, hear. I use Ruby for my PhD as well (functional decomposition
of FSMs for implementation in FPGAs), and am just rewriting¹ my first
version from scratch (targetting Ruby 1.9 along the way). I do try to
have a fat library with just a thin xecutablearound it,ut getting
it working first is more important than getting it reusable outright
(I also don¡Çt see that much use for it outside of my PhD, but I might
be wrong here).

 http://github.com/Chastell/art-decomp

> In that respect, let me be the first to post a link to
> http://sciruby.codeforpeople.com/, although it seems to
> be down (paging Dr. Howard?).

Sadly, there also aren¡Çt any files at the relevant RubyForge page.

¡½ Shot
--
Clojure Creator Admits Unfortunate Spelling
Error in Original Whitepaper [patentlyfalse]

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS--