Pete Hodgson wrote:
> Bill Kelly wrote:
>> From: "Pete Hodgson" <ruby-forum / thepete.net>
>>>
>>> ruby -v gives:
>>> ruby 1.8.6 (2008-06-20 patchlevel 230) [i386-linux]
>>
>> patchlevel 230 was one of the bad ones.  It leaks like a sieve.
>>
>> See [ruby-core] thread:
>>
>> [Ruby 1.8 - Bug #216] Memory leaks in 1.8.6p230 and p238
>> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/17571
>>
>> It affected a whole range of patchlevels:
>> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/17596
>>

>> Also, a leak of similar severity was introduced later on, starting
>> in p296 lasting at least through p355:
>>
>> [ruby-core:22582] Re: [Bug #1223] Memory leak reintroduced in 1.8.6
>> branch?
>> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/22852
>>
>> I'd recommend trying the recent official 1.8.6 release, p368
>> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/332578
>>
>> I have not personally tried p368 on my long-running servers, as
>> I had already found a stable version, p279.  So I have not had a
>> need to upgrade the version.  I can say that p279 is very stable
>> in its memory profile.  I'm guessing the official p368 release
>> probably is too.
>>

>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Bill
>

> Great info Bill, thanks so much. I'll try building 1.8.6-p368 and see if
> the same component exhibits different behaviour running under that
> build.
>
> Assuming that helps, does anyone have any pointers on putting a
> non-standard ruby rpm onto a centOS box? My company use centos in
> production and I'm betting that my Ops guys will want an rpm, official
> or otherwise.

I've ran the same component side by side on both p230 and p368 for a few
hours. The p368 component is holding steady at around 19MB, while the
p230 component is up to 83MB resident, 98MB virtual. Looks like the
culprit was indeed a leaky interpreter.

Bill, thanks so much for pointing me in such a fruitful direction.

I guess my solution will be to upgrade our production machines to the
new p368 build.

Cheers,
Pete