--0-600190453-12416885406635

I think this thread makes more sense here instead of polluting core ML

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Aston <blackapache512-ticket / yahoo.com>
To: ruby-core / ruby-lang.org
Sent: Wednesday, 6 May, 2009 11:34:36 PM
Subject: [ruby-core:23371] Re: Ruby/DL Documentation

thanks a lot tad.bochan / bnpparibas.com and sh / sheepman.sakura.ne.jp

tad seems to be using 1.8.x, i am using ruby19 on FreeBSD7.2

[diesalunix@raptor ~]$ uname -a
FreeBSD raptor 7.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.2-PRERELEASE #1: Sun Mar 29 19:18:27 UTC 2009     root@raptor:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ARGON18amd64
[diesalunix@raptor ~]$ ruby19 -v
ruby 1.9.2dev (2009-05-02 trunk 23326) [x86_64-freebsd7.2]

as suggested by sh@ test/dl/test_*.rb are good (not gr8!) source for learning, but given the fact there exists no other code using dl elsewhere I am very happy I found them. thanks sh@

While googling around I discovered ruby-ffi (http://kenai.com/projects/ruby-ffi/pages/Home), and it seems to be much more clean and complete solution. It is supported by other VMs as well. I would have prefered to beith dl since it is part of standard ruby C implementation but it is very difficult to use(u got to have lot of time and little black magic), code using it is almost non-existent and /dev/null documentation

when readingbout ruby-ffi elsewhere it appears very promising, what is its future in regard to ruby's C implementation ? will it ever be part of stdlib ? it appears it is still taking shape but by and large stable

Aston