Pito Salas wrote:
> I was trying to figure out what the correct parameters are for
> ScrolledWindow.new.
>
> In the doc I saw some detrails
> (http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/doc/scrolledwindow.html#ScrolledWindow_new)
> but I still couldnt see what I was doing wrong.

The parameters in the docs are correct I think. After you create the
ScrolledWindow you need to set up the scroll bars (eg using
set_virtual_size and set_scroll_rate) as described at the top of the doc
page.

There are examples of using ScrolledWindow in the samples (though the
sample is a bit over-elaborate), or here:
http://weft-qda.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/weft-qda/lib/weft/wxgui/controls/image_viewer.rb

As Stefan says, you can get help on the mailing list if you post some
code, and a description of an error message or what's not working.

> So I looked at the sources for the gem, and found no explicit definition
> of the class and methods, but a mention of wxruby2, the 'binary
> library'. What's that?

It's the compiled file (called wxruby2.so or similar) which provides
most of the core wxRuby API.

> Then looking deeper I found the wxruby2 gem's sources, where again no
> explicit mention about ScrolledWindow.new. It looks to me like wxruby2
> is a ruby "api" to the underlying c library. There's mention of Swig,
> what's that?
>
> And then within wxruby2/swig/classes/scrolledwindow.i I find this
> inscrutable stuff (see below).... Does that somehow explain what the
> RUBY parameters are for ScrolledWindow?

Partly, and also a file included from there,
swig/classes/include/wxScrolledWindow.h, and various other inscrutable
bits of SWIG stuff.

For learning and using the API I would definitely stick to the samples
and docs which should cover all the API, and feel free to ask for help
on the list.

alex