On Sun, 10 Feb 2002 09:46:02 -0500, Jim Menard wrote:
> Richard Harlos wrote:
>> [...]
>> A Sourceforge Foundry wouldn't necessarily have to be mutually
>> exclusive with the other resources you cited, but it might be
>> invaluable for the Ruby community to co-habitate with other Open Source
>> efforts.
>
> It may not be mutually exclusive, but it would be redundant. The only
> advantage a SourceForge foundry would have is publicity among a certain
> circle of developers. That's not a bad thing, but I don't think it
> outweighs the disadvantage of being reduntant.

Well then, it seems (so far, anyway) that my view about this is in the
minority.  That's fine.  Like I said, I was just thinking aloud.

I am curious about something, Jim.  You mentioned the publicity as an
advantage, which is a view I certainly agree with.  You also mentioned
"the disadvantage of being redundant" but never really stated what that
disadvantage is, or how it "outweighs" the publicity advantage, i.e.,
what criteria gives the disadvantage more weight.

Would you care to elaborate for the sake of my curiosity?   :-)

TIA,

Richard
--
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea,
   never regains its original dimensions."