Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale / gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 6:48 PM, James Gray <james / grayproductions.net> wrote:
>> I hate to be the guy to start another { … } vs. do … end thread, but I have
>> some questions I would love to hear opinions on.
>>
>> I use to just use the rule of { … } for one-liners and do … end for the
>> longer stuff. However, I've recently switched to trying out { … } for the
>> times when I care about the return value and do … end for the times the
>> block is for side effects. For the most part, I do like the new strategy,
>> but sometimes I have trouble deciding which to use.
>
> Well, I went back to what I wrote over a year ago on this
> "controversy" and I think it stands up pretty well.
>
> http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/2007/10/02/ruby-blocks-do-or-brace

FYI - looks like you have an extra trailing paren here in the last
code example:

  description 'pickup up the leaves'
  task(:rake => pre_raking_tasks) {#code to rake the leaves})

BTW - this is one of the reasons I tend to use parens on function
invocations consistently.

--
Brian Adkins
http://lojic.com/