> My leading guess would be that your path is different on the two
> machines.  On one, it found the Ruby interpreter you expected, but on
> the other it found one without the gem installed because of the way
> the path was set.  Another option is that both Ruby interpreters had
> the gem installed on one box, but not the other.
The paths are about the same, both having /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
at the beginning, so I don't know how that would happen. The Ruby
interpreter on both is the same, 1.9.1p0.

> The standard iconv library ships with Ruby, so you shouldn't need to
> install it on either version.  It's part of Ruby's standard library.
>
> I'm not sure why Rails fails to find it, that being the case.  You're
> install obviously isn't what I expect it to be.
That's odd. Both were configured with --enable-shared --enable-pthread
CFLAGS=-D_XOPEN_SOURCE=1 (from
http://hivelogic.com/articles/view/ruby-rails-leopard). Is that helpful
at all? How would I go about figuring out why it didn't install iconv on
the one machine?

Another thing I just noticed is that when I run ruby script/console on
the Intel mac, I get:
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-2.3.2/lib/active_record/i18n_interpolation_deprecation.rb:23:in
`<class:Simple>': undefined method `alias_method_chain' for
I18n::Backend::Simple:Class (NoMethodError)
Whereas it works on the PPC mac. Is this related? Or is something really
broken?