On Apr 26, 2009, at 4:34 PM, Jacob Bandes-storch wrote:

> I have both a PPC Mac and an Intel Mac, and I recently installed Ruby
> 1.9.1 from source on both the same way, and Rails 2.3.2. I'm trying to
> run a Rails app locally that's set to use sqlite3.
>
> This is a side question, not the main issue: on the PPC mac, when I
> started the server, I got errors about sqlite3 not existing. I was
> able
> to fix that by doing "sudo gem install sqlite3-ruby". This didn't
> happen
> on the Intel mac. Why did I have to do that?

My leading guess would be that your path is different on the two
machines.  On one, it found the Ruby interpreter you expected, but on  he other it found one without the gem installed because of the way
the path was set.  Another option is that both Ruby interpreters had
the gem installed on one box, but not the other.

> On the Intel mac, when I try to start the server, I get this:
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activesupport-2.3.2/lib/
> active_support/inflector.rb:3:in
> `require': no such file to load -- iconv (LoadError)

> And this doesn't happen on the PPC mac. On PPC, when I run "gem which
> iconv", I get
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9.1/powerpc-darwin9.6.0/iconv.bundle. When I run
> that on the Intel mac, I get "Can't find ruby library file or shared
> library iconv". (Using the old preinstalled 1.8 version of ruby, the
> path to the iconv bundle that's in .../Ruby.framework/... shows up, on
> both computers.) I checked the
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9.1/i386-darwin9.6.0/ folder on the Intel mac,  nd
> iconv.bundle is not there. Why is this happening? How can I fix it > where can I get iconv?

The standard iconv library ships with Ruby, so you shouldn't need to
install it on either version.  It's part of Ruby's standard library.

I'm not sure why Rails fails to find it, that being the case.  You're  nstall obviously isn't what I expect it to be.