On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Mike West <bigfootm / mindspring.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am a complete novice to programming. I have chosen Ruby as my first
> language.
>

> How do you mix arithmetic(or integers) and strings together?

Probably the most idiomatic way is to use string interpolation.

Within a double quoted string you can put a Ruby expression in #{ }
delimiters.  The expression will be evaluated and to_s will be sent to
the result replacing the delimited expression so:

Instead of

>> puts 2+4 ' is the sum of 2+4.'

I would probably use:
    puts "#{2+4} is the sum of 2+4"