On Apr 24, 2009, at 12:11 PM, James Gray wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2009, at 11:01 AM, Gary Wright wrote:
>
>> On Apr 24, 2009, at 11:11 AM, Tim Pease wrote:
>>>
>>> This is the standard code to daemonize a process. The use of "exit"
>>> bothers me slightly, as it will call all "at_exit" handlers in the
>>> parent. I do not believe this is the desired behavior; the "at_exit"
>>> handlers will free resources that the daemonized process might need.
>>
>> What resources are you talking about?  By the time exit is called, =20=

>> the
>> process has already been duplicated.  The child process won't be =20
>> affected
>> by anything the parent does during via at_exit processing (at least
>> with respect to Ruby object resources).
>
> But if that at_exit() handler deletes a file or something=85

Well, that is why I put the caveat about 'Ruby object resources'.
Isn't it fair to assume the at_exit code isn't actively hostile? :-)

If you've got at_exit() code that is trashing external resources that =20=

are used by a child process, that is a bug to be fixed I think rather =20=

than a bug to be obscured via exit!=