Marc Heiler wrote:

> Anyway, my question is - is it true that new methods are rarely
> added to ruby?

I don't know; but, after reading your post I sure hope it's true. I
wouldn't want your strip! added to Ruby.

I can think of at least four very different things to expect an
Array#strip! to do. Why add foggy methods to Ruby?

> The String class is really rather big compared to the Array class

So?

It isn't wastful to have classes with very few methods. If computers had
a "5$ for the first 20 methods; Any method above 20 is free" rule then
indeed it'd be wasteful to have little classes. But it isn't the case.