Hi,

Recently I added
def strip!
to class Array. I found that I needed it, and some of my arrays were
collection of strings having whitespace. It was trivial, and I thought
this could be part of standard ruby. But I remember that there was some
issue, i.e. matz not wanting to have too many methods or similar. We
also have the facets library (but I found it to be too big, or,
depending on the viewpoint one has, should rather be part of the
language itself)

Anyway, my question is - is it true that new methods are rarely added to
ruby?

The String class is really rather big compared to the Array class, and i
figured that people will work with string objects most of the time
(compared to Array objects or Hash objects) - they are useful, but I
think all through rubyland (think all virtual ruby objects), there would
be more string objects than array objects etc..