On Wednesday 22 April 2009 17:35:27 Joel VanderWerf wrote:
> I've gone the '--program-suffix=19' route, just to play with ruby19, and
> not had a problem, but I've avoided using gem19.
>
> What happens if I do
>
>    gem19 install rake
>
> for example? Well, it overwrites my old rake, and the new rake has a
> hashbang line that invokes ruby19. Kaboom.
>
> Maybe gem install should be aware of things like program-suffix in
> rbconfig, and use them?

Ideally, it should. However, you can do this:

gem19 install rake --format-executable

Then it will install rake19.

I actually don't use that, because I got tired of typing it all the time. I
instead installed 1.8 and 1.9 in separate locations, and wrote a few wrapper
scripts to set up PATH and RUBYLIB appropriately.