> The model itself is idealized to maximize extinction rates.

I agree.

> Got an agenda?  Welcome to the state of eco-science.

It depends. Aside from this media brain-washed attitude, the whole field
of ecology does list problems without inflated models. Think about
glaciers for example. It may not be a big problem that they are
shrinking, however the fact THAT there is a change should be noted down
accurately by scientific research.

I was never a fan of science which tries to shock or otherwise scare
people as part of a strategy, but changes in environment can often lead
to unexpected problems cropping up. One that comes to my mind are new
animals which are brought to an endemic population (i.e. cats on an
island, eating eggs of turtles). Another problem is the huge amount of
fishing in oceans in general, which changes the whole ecosystem
drastically.