From: "Ciph3rzer0" <ciph3rzer0 / gmail.com>

> I don't really know how to use anything else...

You would still be using OpenGL... Unless you are doing
anything fancy with the window itself (menus, etc.) then
SDL or GLFW can be regarded as merely alternate ways to
obtain a window for rendering with OpenGL.

> Does it seem like a problem with ruby-opengl?  Or freeglut?
> are there other "glut"s I can use?

I'm not sure how to guess where the problem lies.  I would
tend to suspect the ruby bindings, however I did find it
curious that the error message came from freeglut and
described itself as an "internal error".

Coincidentally, a relese candidate for freeglut version
2.6.0 was just put online today:

http://freeglut.sourceforge.net/index.php#download

So you might try compiling that new version of freeglut
and see if you can get any of its C-based demos to work.
If the C-based demos work, but the ruby bindings still
produce the error, then we may have narrowed it down a
little.

Hope this helps,

Bill