Thomas Hafner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the Ruby code in this article's subject works for my machine running
> Ubuntu Linux, but I don't expect it to work for different operating
> systems (NetBSD, FreeBSD a.s.o.).
>
> How can alternative OS independent Ruby code look like? Of course, it
> shall also load from standard input rather than from a file. Despite
> that, it shall be very close to loading a "real" file, e.g.: the line
> number of the error location shall be told in case of a syntax error
> within the loaded code.

Use #read and #eval instead of #load, and supply the file/line params to
eval:

$ cat bar.rb
puts "in bar"

xfndksnf_syntax_error
$ cat foo.rb
file = "bar.rb"

data = File.read(file)

eval data, nil, "your text here", 0

$ ruby foo.rb
in bar
your text here:2: undefined local variable or method
`xfndksnf_syntax_error' for main:Object (NameError)