On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Saji N. Hameed <saji / apcc21.net> wrote:

>> yes - me!
>
> sorry, my reply was incomplete... in my case, i just compiled 1.9 separately
> in a separate directory without using the package manager, and aliased
> the 1.9 version using ruby19 and irb19. In case of 1.9, gems get installed
> under the 1.9 installation root without disturbing the main ruby installation.
> So I guess rake, rdoc etc should work fine if you use either one (1.8 or 1.9)
>
> i don't know if my answer helps much... :)

I have that much working already :) What I want to do is have the
default ruby switch between 1.8 and 1.9 when I run a command - right
now I run 1.8 as 'ruby' and 1.9 as ruby-1.9. I hacked something up by
manually renaming ruby to ruby-1.8 and adding symlinks, but I was
hoping there was some sort of standard way to do it.

martin