--AH+kv8CCoFf6qPuz

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 04:31:44AM +0900, List Sp wrote:

> Chad Perrin wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 05:58:21AM +0900, Tom Cloyd wrote:
> >>
> >> Free market idealism...ah, yes. In the USA, and, as a consequence, in
> >> world in general, we are presently enjoying the rewards of market left
> >> entirely TOO free. Wild pigs with the social morality of your average
> >> two year old took over, uprooted a lot of the garden and many of the
> >> fruit trees, and as a result many of us are more than a bit worried
> >> about how we're going to feed ourselves in the coming months.
> >
> > I believe the technical term for the notion that "the free market" is to
> > blame for the current economic train wreck is "poppycock".  Only
> > left-wingnuts, corrupt corporate lobbyists, and politicians that have
> > been bought and paid for by corrupt corporate lobbyists can claim this
> > is
> > a "free" market with a straight face.
>
> So what country does have this "free market" you describe ?
> Let me guess: none.

What utopian system do you favor that *does* exist, or *has* existed in a
form that didn't end up failing in a truly epic manner (or even with a
pathetic whimper)?

> If we remove the (cause of all evils, the bad bad) government, what
> would change ?

Who said anything about government being the cause of all evils, or that
it should be "removed"?

> Let me guess: nothing, the multinationals would still rule the world.

I think you may lack some understanding of what makes corporations tick.
They depend on market interventions for their various existence.

> ..but lets suppose we start all over again, lets suppose we have all the
> people with the same resources and the same opportunities, then we apply
> "free market" what happens ?
> people get together and start their small companies, some do better than
> others, the ones that did better buy another company, and then
> another....and ooooppss, what we have: monopolistic control over
> resources ? corrupt corporate lobbyists ? nahhhhhh the forces of "free
> market" suddenly appear and destroy the bad guys and wipe corruption
> from the face of the earth.

A company can't "own" anything without economic intervention by an
authoritarian power structure such as government.  Only individuals can
own something, absent agents of authoritarian power to enforce the legal
decree of personhood conveyed upon a corporation.

> ...that souns familiar, yes I think I saw that somewhere....oh yes, I
> now remember, I was eating popcorn...

I don't find that statement a very compelling argument, nor even a very
clever jibe.

Quoth Marvin Minsky: ". . . anyone could learn Lisp in 1 day, except
that if they already knew Fortran, it would take 3 days."

--AH+kv8CCoFf6qPuz

--AH+kv8CCoFf6qPuz--