On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Marty Alchin wrote:

> I know this topic has been discussed before, but none of the previous
> solutions seem to work for me. Has anyone successfully gotten a Ruby program
> to run as an NT system service? I'm making an IRC bot that needs to run
> while I'm logged off, since these machines at work log off every night
> whether I like it or not. I've tried SrvAny from the NT Resource Kit, as
> well as cygrunsrv included with Cygwin. Do I have to compile Ruby under my
> own copy of Cygwin in order to get cygrunsrv to work? That seems like the
> best option, but I've never gotten anything to compile right. After all,
> that's why I'm using an interpreted language like Ruby. Anyway, any help in
> this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You might want to check out FireDaemon. And you'd probably be better off
with one of the non-cygwin Ruby's so you don't need to fuss with
cygwin.dll.

I used FireDaemon some years back and it worked so well that if you can
run things from the command-line you ought to be able to run them as
services with FireDaemon.

It is rumoured to have some troubles with XP though.

From www.firedaemon.com:

"[Application Support] FireDaemon can be used to run most applications
written in popular scripting languages (eg. Perl, Python, Java) as well as
variety of Win32 native binary applications..."

Regards,

Robert Feldt