David Masover wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 April 2009 11:16:48 Mohit Sindhwani wrote:
>
>> To extend this to my next level of use, I would like to use it for
>> creating Word documents.  Does anyone know any scripts/ ideas on
>> creating Word documents using TexTile?
>>

> Don't! That's the best advice I can give.
>
> If you must, probably the simplest place to start is creating an ODF document,
> or something else Word can read -- in the case of ODF, you may have to have
> OpenOffice read it, then save as Word.
>
> But I'm really curious to know why you need this? If it's just for them to be
> nicely styled, it would be much faster to learn CSS -- or, if that's not an
> option, to perhaps convert the word template to an HTML template.

HI David and Joel

Thanks for replying.

I haven't tried creating an ODF document yet, but I did find that
importing the HTML into OpenOffice works partly.  Not all my styles are
retained, but at least the headings are maintained.  But the process is
cumbersome.  Writer doesn't allow you to open an HTML file and save it
as DOC.  You need to first export it to ODT.  Then open the ODT in
Writer and save as Word Doc.  When you open the resulting DOC in Word,
quite a bit of the formatting is lost and some of the styling is gone.

Opening the HTML directly in Word also works, but it retains styling but
completely loses the semantics (headings, code blocks, etc.) -
everything is directly formatted styled paragraphs.

The reason for wanting to get to Word... well, I do know CSS and use
that for the causal first print from what I write.  But I think Word (or
some other publishing software, not sure which one) would give me better
control over controlling the print output.  For example, including
page-wise headers and footers, and so on.  It's partly a curiosity and
partly a need :)

Joel: I'll try RTF to see if that helps.

Cheers,
Mohit.
4/16/2009 | 10:09 AM.