application.html.erb is correctly finding the stylesheet for my project
via <%= stylesheet_link_tag 'style1' %>.  My webpages reflect the
styling properly with a few exceptions .. the most notable being some
.jpg images defined for background do not display at all.  I have those
images in public/images.

The following is the stylesheet code containing the reference to the
image.

#navigation {
  width: 180px;
  height: 484px;
  background: #7da5a8 url(backgrounds/nav-bg.jpg) no-repeat;
}

This worked fine until I retrofitted the webpages into the Rails
framework (which I really like, but which I'm relative new to).

If anyone knows the solution, I would really appreciate it ... thanks in
advance!

Rubio