On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 10:04, Aidan Mark wrote:
> Around 1994 I was writing a book on Perl. I mentioned this to an old timer.
> Whats Perl, he asked ? I explained. "It will never be heard of again" was
> his comment.
>
> Of course Perl far from dissapearing became the swiss army knife of
> programming due mainly to its use for CGI programming in the early web. Sure
> Perl had nice features like regular expression string processing, DBI
> interfaces, and a growing module base but it was principally the CGI niche
> that launched it out of the obscure programming language corral. Lincon
> Stein's CGI.pm made it simply unbeatable in this area (until, sadly maybe,
> PHP came along).
>
> My question is therefore which niches do people predict will launch Ruby
> into the mainstream?
>
> Where will Ruby simply be indespensible and "competing" languages like
> Python, Perl and Java simply not do?

As Rafael wrote they are partly eating into perls niches but I also
think there is another important thing to think about.

Today computers are alot faster and with more memory then they were
1994.  This makes languages like perl,python,ruby and even java and C#
better suited for large and complex tasks than they were in 1994 which
means that they can do alot more than run web pages.

I think the scripting languages will eat into the niches that java and
C# wants to own and I think they want to own the current c/c++-market.

Weather or not ruby will have a large piece of this is another question.
I hope so.

/Erik
--
Erik B?gfors               | erik / bagfors.nu
Supporter of free software | GSM +46 733 279 273