Robert Schaaf wrote:
> Hi all from a 30-year veteran, but rather a Ruby noob,
>
> I've been looking around for a Ruby IDE, and came across the soon to
> be released RubyMine.  It looks to be a promising program, with a very
> nice code reformatter.
>
> One thing irks me:  It doesn't indent the clauses of a case statement,
> but prints the 'when's flush with the 'case' and 'end' keywords.  This
> complicates discerning the scope of the statement quickly.  I went
> back to 'Programming Ruby' and found the same formatting, which I find
> somewhat barbaric.
>
> My question is, how many of you indent when clauses?  Does it matter
> to you at all?  Is there a package that prettifies Ruby  code, even if
> not in an editor,  and is configurable?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob Schaaf
always leave 'when' indented to the same level as the case statement,
much as I would indent elsif to the same level as the if statement. So
my case/whens look like this:

case var
when 'val'
  some code
when 'otherval'
  different code
when 'foo'
  bar
else
  oh no!
end

(obviously this is not quite valid ruby code, but you get the idea)

As for an editor for your use, it depends on your platform, of course.
Linux? OS X? Windows?