From: "SpringFlowers AutumnMoon" <summercoolness / gmail.com>

>> is it by
>> # coding: utf-8
>> or
>> # encoding: utf-8
>>
>> ?  are those for specifying that the current program file is in UTF8 ?
>
> does someone know how to solve this?   to make some file have
> international characters, it is really simple:  can go to Google News
> and look at news from China or Taiwan or Hong Kong, and then copy and
> paste the text into a filename on Windows XP or Vista.   thanks.

Sorry, I haven't made the time to experiment with ruby1.9 much yet.
(Even though I am interested in this feature.)

Here are a couple threads from ruby-core that show examples of
using the # encoding: UTF-8 tag.

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/23119

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/22784

(Warning: It looks like the ruby-core mailing list archive software itself
doesn't handle the encoding, and so the messages are displayed with
bogus remnants of the quoted-printable syntax left over like =3D and
 =20. )

But anyway... As I understand it, before you paste characters into
your editor, you'll need to make sure your editor is using UTF-8
encoding for the file you're editing.  And put the #encoding: UTF-8
tag at the top of the file.

Hope this helps,

Bill