this is mkkf.log in ruby1.8.7p72/ext/zlib.

-------------------------------------

have_library: checking for deflateReset() in -lz... =20
-------------------- yes

"gcc -o conftest -I../.. -I../../. -I../.././ext/zlib  -=20
D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=3D64  -g -O2   conftest.c  -L. -L../.. -L.      -=20
lruby-static -lz  -lpthread -ldld -ldl -lm   -lc"
conftest.c: In function 't':
conftest.c:3: error: 'deflateReset' undeclared (first use in this =20
function)
conftest.c:3: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
conftest.c:3: error: for each function it appears in.)
checked program was:
/* begin */
1: /*top*/
2: int main() { return 0; }
3: int t() { void ((*volatile p)()); p =3D (void ((*)()))deflateReset; =20=

return 0; }
/* end */

"gcc -o conftest -I../.. -I../../. -I../.././ext/zlib  -=20
D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=3D64  -g -O2   conftest.c  -L. -L../.. -L.      -=20
lruby-static -lz  -lpthread -ldld -ldl -lm   -lc"
checked program was:
/* begin */
1: /*top*/
2: int main() { return 0; }
3: int t() { deflateReset(); return 0; }
/* end */

--------------------

have_header: checking for zlib.h... -------------------- yes

"gcc -E -I../.. -I../../. -I../.././ext/zlib  -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=3D64  =
-=20
g -O2    conftest.c -o conftest.i"
checked program was:
/* begin */
1: #include <zlib.h>
/* end */

--------------------


hmn, could be this a kind of clue ?


2009. 04. 07, =BF=C0=C8=C4 10:16, Jun Young Kim =C0=DB=BC=BA:

> hi, all.
>
> after installing ruby 1.8.7.p72 successfully, I tried to install =20
> rubygems.1.3.1.
>
> It seems to be normally installed.
>
> but, when I execute it, the errors is generated.
>
> #> gem update
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/ia64-hpux11.31/zlib.so: dlsym: =20
> Unknown symbol Init_zlib - /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/ia64-=20
> hpux11.31/zlib.so (LoadError)
>
> actually, this is not a error log what I first met.
>
> first error log is "no load error - zlib".
>
> to resolve this problem, I trace the zlib location ruby wants. the =20
> one of them is "/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/ia64-hpux11.31" =20
> here.
>
> I make a symbolic link by using /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1.2.3 under =20
> site_ruby/1.8/ia.......
>
> wow. I am still in problems.
>
> this time ruby cannot find "zlib.rb". I am not sure this is main =20
> reason gem is failed. but it could be a reason.
>
> the procedure to execute gem binary is extremely hard.  :-<
>
>
>