hi, all.

after installing ruby 1.8.7.p72 successfully, I tried to install  
rubygems.1.3.1.

It seems to be normally installed.

but, when I execute it, the errors is generated.

#> gem update
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/ia64-hpux11.31/zlib.so: dlsym:  
Unknown symbol Init_zlib - /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/ia64- 
hpux11.31/zlib.so (LoadError)

actually, this is not a error log what I first met.

first error log is "no load error - zlib".

to resolve this problem, I trace the zlib location ruby wants. the one  
of them is "/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/ia64-hpux11.31" here.

I make a symbolic link by using /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1.2.3 under  
site_ruby/1.8/ia.......

wow. I am still in problems.

this time ruby cannot find "zlib.rb". I am not sure this is main  
reason gem is failed. but it could be a reason.

the procedure to execute gem binary is extremely hard.  :-<